Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Some Quick Notes

Just a few notes on the reading for Thursday:

I absolutely love A Rose for Emily, I read that in high school all those years ago and loved it then as well. The surprise ending got me the first time and totally chilled me to the bone, and even now after a few years rereading the story is still very eerie. I like that Emily is referred to as a "fallen monument" upon her death, giving her a sense of importance that may have been forgotten over time, which is exactly what Emily is.

Hills Like White Elephants was very confusing at first, as with most Hemingway works I had to reread it a dozen times before I could sift through his ridiculous symbols and through all the dialogue with nothing supporting it to realize what was actually happening in the story. The second read through reminded me of the surgery, which during the first read I had forgotten about half way through the story and was very confused as to what they meant when they were talking about doing something that will be simple. All over, though, I found this Hemingway piece not entirely too dreadful to read, so I will add it to the short pile of Hemingway works I enjoy (the only other being A Farewell to Arms).

The cricket story was a little strange to me, I did not quite understand the whole point of the names being in Christmas colours across the two children's chests. I did like that the little girl corrected the little boy about the insect and then they felt as though they were connected. The lanterns also sound extremely cute, and I would like to try to make one.

I had quite a long and busy day so I am going to leave it at this and save some of my opinions of the works for class discussion!

Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment