Tuesday, January 7, 2014

This is J-Term!

I have always been a very avid blogger and being assigned to write a blog for class was one of the best moments in my college career so far. The point of this blog is to comment on the reading I have done for class and to elaborate on that reading, which I hope to do successfully.

I was a little weary about J-Term over Christmas break, because this is the start of my English career and I want to start out on a great foot - this is, after all, what I wish to do for the rest of my life. I have been happily surprised with the readings so far. I am typically a very picky reader (my tastes lean towards classic British literature and I do not tend to really enjoy a lot else) but the pieces that we have read so far have being very pleasant.

I am a screen writer by trade and a poet by nature, so starting off the term by analyzing a ton of poetry is just peachy! My favourite of the poems read for Tuesdays class was hard to choose, but I must admit that the piece that stuck out the most to me was William Wordsworth's "I wandered lonely as a cloud" to my great surprise. I have never been a very big Wordsworth fan, yet there is something about a poem as light as this one. The images he describes are simple, but vivid - the daffodils dancing took me a moment to comprehend for my mind must have been somewhere else, with the first note I took for that line reading, "It must be pretty windy out because the daffodils keep moving". I pushed past that subjective view of the poem, as the text encouraged me so, and my mind was filled with images of daffodils dancing in their fields and how truly beautiful that must seem.

I worked in a flower store for about a year in high school, and daffodils were a very popular potted plant during the Easter season, grandmothers really got excited about buying twenty potted daffodils for every relative they could list. I had never liked the looks of those daffodils, probably because I was surrounded by them daily, but also because they are not exactly the prettiest flower of the bunch. I had not seen a daffodil in some time, so I googled them and found this image which I actually find quite pretty, and somewhat calming:



After looking at this photo, I can really see what Wordsworth was describing, and really hope that I stumble upon a field of dancing daffodils someday soon (if this snow will ever melt).

I cannot wait to read more!

Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment